Can I Be Charged with a Hit & Run for Hitting a Parked Car?

Under California Vehicle Code 20002 VC, it is a misdemeanor to hit another vehicle and leave without providing the owner with identifying information. This law applies even if the car you ran into was parked at the time of the accident.

For example, say you were backing out of a friend’s driveway and accidentally hit a neighbor’s car that was parked on the street. You get out of your vehicle to inspect the other vehicle and don’t see any damagesone. You return to your car and leave. Unfortunately, by doing so, you could be charged with a hit and run.

If you are convicted for hitting the neighbor’s car, you could be punished by a fine of up to $1,000 and/or a jail sentence of up to 6 months.

Avoiding a Hit and Run Charge

To prevent charges being filed, you must attempt to locate the other vehicle’s owner, inform them of the accident, and exchange information.

If you are unable to find the owner, you must leave a note that includes the following:

  • Your name and contact information
  • Your vehicle information, including make, model, and license plate number
  • Your insurance information
  • Details of the incident

Legal Defenses for a Hit and Run

If you are charged with a hit and run, a skilled criminal defense attorney can help develop a defense strategy for your case. Common defenses in hit and run cases include:

  • Defendant didn’t know they were involved in an accident
  • Defendant didn’t know they caused damage to the vehicle
  • Defendant was mistakenly identified as the person who caused the accident

Schedule Your Free Consultation with The Law Office of Brian C. Andritch

If you were charged with a hit and run, speak with our attorney at The Law Office of Brian C. Andritch. We have extensive experience in the criminal justice system and are skilled at developing solid legal defenses on behalf of individuals accused of crimes. We will work hard to ensure all possible legal avenues are explored and your rights are protected.

To discuss your case, call us at (559) 484-2112 or contact us online.