What You Need to Know Before You Pay Your Traffic Ticket
In California, you may be able to pay your California traffic ticket fine online, through the mail, over the phone, or in person. If, however, you feel like you were wrongly written up, you have the option to fight your ticket if you believe you’re innocent—especially if you have evidence backing your claims.
In California, there are two different types of traffic tickets—aside from parking tickets—you can receive:
- Infraction traffic tickets – For minor violations such as speeding or running a red light
- Misdemeanor traffic tickets – For serious crimes such as DUI or driving without a valid driver’s license
If you want to contest your traffic ticket, you must plead “not guilty.” It is important to understand that pleading not guilty means you do not believe you violated the infractions on your traffic ticket. Our Fresno criminal defense attorney at The Law Office of Brian C. Andritch recommends that you have evidence of being wrongly cited before you go to court.
If you can either plead not guilty by doing one of the following:
- File in person – At your scheduled court hearing, also known as an arraignment, you will hear the charges against you, have a judicial officer explain your rights, be presented with the option plead. Or could also file with the traffic clerk’s office on or before your scheduled court date.
- File over the phone – Call your local county court clerk’s office for additional information.
- File through the mail – You can do this before your scheduled court date.
In addition, if you request a trial by written declaration, want to have your trial scheduled on the same day as your arraignment, or ask to waive your arraignment, you need to pay your ticket fine at the start of the process. This is commonly referred to as “posting bail.”
If you’re found not guilty, the money will be returned to you. If you are found guilty, the money will go toward the fees you owe the court.
If you are interested in contesting your California traffic ticket, contact us and request a free consultation today.